Post-Modern graphic design example #6 (6/15)
This design example is from the I-D magazine, within the Do-it-yourself manual. This design portrays the post-modern era since it shows overlapping elements and flashy colors. It repeats the type "I-D" in the center of the post and uses straight text for the other information in the design. The photo of the woman is a set at a very light opacity, to the point where you can't see the physical face shape, although with the overlapping rectangle over the eyes shows a different photo opacity. The low opacity adds curiosity to the design since you can only see the eyes, since the audience can tell this is a woman in the photo but struggle to see her beauty. The designer also scales up the number 5 to overlap the side of the rectangle and the bottom text, which aligns with the postmodern era. This design is very different from the last design by Paula Scher because this design has little type, textures, only two colors, and the main photo is behind everything else in the design. In the previous design, Scher let the photo figure overlap some type, and pop more beyond the text, while this example by Jones, the photo is a background element. I think this way of approaching this postmodern design was very important because it showed a more simplistic design compared to many others I have researched. This example doesn't use multiple photos in a collage-like style, and does not show a tilted axis, but the overlapping type, textures, and flashy style portrays the postmodern aspects.
Jones, T. (1981). I-D Magazine Issue №5 Do-it-yourself Manual of Style. Medium. Vintage I-D Magazines (1981, 1983, 1984, 1985) | by murraygm | Paperposts | Medium

Comments
Post a Comment